Thursday 2 January 2014

What is a chook?

Chook (rhymes with 'look' and 'hook') is a common slang word for chicken.  It is used in Australia and I understand that New Zealand also claims it as part of their language.

For those who miss the pun in the blog title, chook can also be used as a sometimes endearing, sometimes mildly derogatory term for a woman who fusses around, apparently for no obvious purpose.  But watch a broody chook clucking and fussing around her nest as she is about to sit on her clutch of eggs.  She is doing important work caring for her brood and doesn't care who else knows about it.

I guess being a woman of a 'certain age', I think of myself as a 'bit of a chook' who thinks that what I do and experience as I potter around my backyard just might be of interest to others.  So here we go ....

No comments:

Post a Comment